Sunday, July 19, 2009


Yesterday was filled with stitching frustra- tions. As you can see, my scan shows little progress from the last one. If I were to tell the truth, it shows negative progress.

First of all, my stitching time on Friday was limited by the process of installing my new microphone/camera and downloading and installing Skype. More about that later. Yesterday when I picked up the little ornament, I discovered that the wording was not placed well. The chart is done over two. The wording is charted separately over one with the instructions to center it vertically in the designated area on the over two chart. Somehow, I did not do that correctly and felt that I had to pick out all of the letters I had stitched. In the process, I cut one of the linen threads but was able to carefully stitch over it with the second attempt. The second time, I still did not get the placement correct and was beginning to wonder if perhaps I should give up entirely. By this time, I decided the best thing would be to add the wording chart to a representation of the main chart in my charting software. I really should have done that first. What you see is now my third try of Glory. By this time the cut linen thread was so badly frayed that I could not stitch over it. I picked it out to the edge of the fabric on the left side and further into the fabric on the right side and wove in a new linen thread. The stitching guardians were finally with me; I hope they felt a little sheepish about not paying close enough attention to me earlier. I took both thread ends to the back of the linen in a random spot which eventually was located underneath a stitch; I could secure both ends with my blue thread. If you care to click on the picture to see a slightly larger version, look carefully to see if you can see where the linen threads meet. If you can, please let me know. This is a test to try to see how noticeable the correction is.

Now I will continue with the saga of the microphone/camera and Skype installation. I had a couple problems that I had to address. I had no video. Well duh, I had to open the lens; in my defense, I would like to say that I still think it should open automatically on its own. The next problem was the audio. Skype said that my microphone was not connected. Well, yes, it was; I had installed the microphone software and introduced it to my computer. But, I had neglected to introduce it to Skpye. With that done, I was set to go. Yesterday I had my first Skype to Skype conversation with audio, obviously, and video. It works - - -it works.

In the midst of everything yesterday I forgot to tell you about the beautiful Queen Ann's lace that I saw by the roadside when I took my son to work. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I want to try to take some pictures today to show you. I hope it still looks as fresh and beautiful.

No comments: