Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fireflies and the Fourth of July



Last night I went outside to check on the fireflies. It seemed like there were not as many as I remember from last year. I hope that this is just an inconsequential aberration or my inaccurate memory and not the indication of a trend. When we bought and moved into the house in 1968, there were no fireflies. It has been several years now that the city has stopped mowing the grass in part of the park behind our home. They have allowed the slight hollow directly behind our home to become a summer meadow. It has not been enough to lure the meadowlarks back but it has brought the fireflies back. I wish that I could take pictures of the fireflies at night but with our cameras it is just impossible.

Yesterday when we discovered that the birds were getting into the netting that we put on the cherry tree, we decided to take it off and pick the cherries. We left the lesser ripe ones and the blemished ones for the birds. We do not have enough cherries to make a pie but it looks like enough to make a cobbler for dessert today.

Yesterday I discovered that our British friends have more genuine copies of the Declaration of Independence in their National Archives than we do in our National Archives.

My stitching progresses. For right now, I am on my way out to work in the garden. I am digging up the iris to divide them. Some I will plant back into my reorganized garden and the rest I will give away.

1 comment:

My name is Riet said...

Hi Linda.
It is so nice to be able to follow your blog. This morning I have been reading some of your older posts and I loved it. I am not such a good storyteller, I try to do better but something inside stops me from telling more about myself. Hve a happy 4thg of July