Tuesday, July 14, 2009

It is Bastille Day. While the US does not officially observe the day, many US citizens have warm feelings about it. In Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington, hangs a key from the Bastille. It is supposed to be the key to the west portal of the Bastille. It was given to George Washington by the Marquis de Lafayette who served under George Washington in the American Revolution. In honor of the Marquis and his service, there are many US cities using the name Lafayette or Fayette in their name.

During the night we had a few drops of rain; it did not amount to much but there is hope. Today we are supposed to have intermittent rain. The past weeks, predicted rain has bypassed us to some extent, if not completely.

Yesterday morning, I discovered that one of the cats threw up a hairball. As bad as that was, he made it even worse by splattering a piece of linen. The only saving grace was the fact that I had not started stitching on it. It is a reminder that I must always carefully put my stitching things away. My attempt to spot clean it did not work so I took it off the scroll rods and soaked it in an Orvis solution. I think it worked but will not know until either it gets lighter or I bring it into the light.

I also decided to take my linen for the four new ornaments off the scroll rods. I did not lay out the fronts and backs very well and it was quite awkward to stitch. Using a small hoop, it is so much easier to stitch now. Hopefully that will encourage me to work more diligently.

Sunday I discovered that Silkweaver is having an odds and ends sale. I ordered two pieces, one for Mary Wigham and one for Beatrix Potter. I think that only one is linen. I hope that my selections work. I plan to stitch both over one on 32 count.

2 comments:

My name is Riet said...

LOng ago one of my cats threw up over my halfstitched piece. I bought new linen and started all over again. What a waste but we learn...Stitching over one on 32 count, my goodness that is tiny. I admire you for that.

Christine said...

Oops! Don't you just looooove cats?