Saturday, May 9, 2009

More Pictures


Yesterday morning was beautiful. The sun was out and it was an ideal time to take pictures of the trees. The upper picture is of the cherry tree. The other is the apple. Both trees are dwarf to enable us to have enough growing room for them. We actually have two apple trees.

What you may not realize is that our winters are too cold for us to grow sweet cherries. We can grow the bright red sour cherries. This tree produces sour cherries that are quite sweet. I am not exactly certain why we have apple trees because we do not spray them and they become too wormy to eat. But, they are lovely in the spring. Unlike the apricot, they send out leaves before they blossom.

We went out yesterday to uncover the iris. It seems to be a little late to do this but better late than never. We did not finish the job. During the late afternoon and evening, we had a light misting of rain. Today looks like a repeat of yesterday except that it is not quite as warm. Our bright blue sky has clouded over. For the next few days, we are going to be a little cooler than average.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I used to have a morello cherry tree at my last house. I think the blackbirds got more cherries than I did