Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Because our home backs onto a city park, we have always enjoyed a variety of birds but until last year, I did not realize that we could attract specific birds. Last year, we enjoyed visiting humming birds all summer long. This year, the humming birds do not seem to be interested. A few have flown through the yard but none have stopped at the feeder.

Last year a friend told me about attracting orioles with a jelly feeder. I gave it a try but until this past week, I thought we would not be successful.

I like the cardinals that we see in the area. They are bright red. I am happy to see the orioles coming to the feeder now. The less bright females are primarily interested in it but a bright male has come. I like orioles because they are so distinctive. I am going to see if I can attract indigo buntings. I have seen one during one summer years ago. They are a very bright blue and very distinctive.

There are so many birds that I feel especially fortunate.

In the late afternoon yesterday I noticed that the cups in the jelly feeder were almost empty. I intended to wait until after dinner to refill them but decided to do it before dinner. While I washed out the cups and filled them, the orioles sat on the humming bird feeder and the top of their feeder. When I came out with the fresh jelly, they flew into the apple tree. They were watching me because as soon as I went into the house, they came out to examine the jelly. We knew they had been waiting for it.

1 comment:

My name is Riet said...

Oh Linda , that must be so special. Are you going to try to make pictures. I would love to see them