Friday, August 28, 2009

On the way home from the health club this morning, it was apparent that rain would be coming our way. The sky had been clear when we left home but was clouding over when we returned home. It is now lightly misting. I have no idea how long this will last.

Yesterday there was a group of eight or so brown birds in the apple tree and on the broccoli plants. I have no idea what kind of birds they were; they were a bit larger than sparrows. When I first noticed them, they were on the stalks of the broccoli plants which are going to seed. We did not cut them back when the yellow blossoms started opening because we noticed a few honey bees on the flowers. The honey bees are having such a difficult time with hive collapse that we wanted to leave the broccoli for them if they wanted it.

From the kitchen window, the broccoli stalks were twitching erratically. I wanted to see what was doing that to them. It did not take long for the first bird to pop up on the top of the broccoli. Then the rest began to show up too. Eventually they flew into the apple tree and more joined them there. I took out the binoculars so I could more easily see them and hopefully identify them. I could see them but was not able to identify them.

1 comment:

My name is Riet said...

I love reading your stories LInda. It is so nice to find out a little bit more of people than just a name.