Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pepper Jelly

I got my recipe from the back of a bag of American Crystal Sugar; I cannot find my recipe. The Crystal Sugar website does not have the recipe. Oh eek, I am going to have to find one for myself.

This looks like a likely candidate for a pepper jelly recipe.

Some Ideas:
1. You could substitute apple juice for part of the vinegar depending upon your taste.
2. You could use green bell peppers and jalapenos for green jelly or red bell peppers and a hot red or yellow pepper for red jelly. You could mix the pepper colors. Use your taste to determine how much hot pepper to use.
3. I do not recommend running the peppers through a food chopper or blender. You will have a much more attractive jelly if you very, very finely dice them by hand. You are going through the trouble to make the jelly, what is a little more hand labor? ;-)
4. You do not have to strain out the pieces of pepper. They will have lost the intensity of their color but still add a little interest, both visual and taste.
5. I generally do not use food coloring but you could to heighten the color.
6. You could use dry, granular pectin. Many people prefer to use it. You might be able to omit the pectin if you cook clean apple peelings with the ingredients; slightly under ripe apples have more pectin. To test for the jell, be certain the mixture sheets off your spoon before you take it off the stove.

Christine, I privately e-mailed you the recipe for chocolate bread with my editorial comments. ;-) Did you get it?

1 comment:

Christine said...

Thanks for finding that, yes, I think I'd use apple juice too.
Apparently I DID get the recipe, I just asked DH, and it came in on his computer and he forgot to tell me! I'll check it out later (men!)