Monday, June 15, 2009



First of all, yes, chipmunks can make a disastrous mess if they get into the house. The primary reason we have been so tolerant of them outside is that they are so very cute. Now, the nicest surprise is that late yesterday afternoon a hummingbird visited the garden. It did not seem to be interested in the feeder but if it liked the garden, it should come back.

The iris of the day today are Ming Dynasty, gold, and Vanity, obviously pink. Yes, Ming Dynasty is in the Gopher Garden. Can you see the color breaks in the falls of Ming Dynasty? They are actually a deep red/maroon.

Yesterday, someone asked me if I might have any iris I could give her. You might say that she is an answer to prayer. Now I only have to dig out and keep separate and identified, two of each variety that I dig up. One is for my friend, Janet, and the other is for me. I can just put everything else into a bag for my other friend. I do not even have to keep them separate. My task just got a whole lot easier.

But I have a more difficult task ahead of me. I have no idea what got into me to be so absent minded. The rule of thumb is to spray the iris for iris borer after three consecutive days of 70F + temperatures. I did not do that and now I have some borer infestation. I must get out this week to clean the remainder of the mulch off the iris and spray them. :-P

No comments: