Sunday, December 13, 2009

In less than twenty-four hours. The birds found our feeders. They came in droves yesterday. I thought that they were supposed to be less territorial at this time of year. One little chickadee kept trying to chase all the other birds away from its feeder.

The chickadees fly up to the feeder and quickly take a bite or two and then fly away. The purple finches glide up to the feeder and settle in for a slow, leisurely feeding session. The woodpecker flies up to the suet cake and pecks away at it. Yesterday, it tried to peck away at the flag pole. That could have been quite a shock. The junkos do not fly up to the feeders but eat what everyone drops from the feeders.

After the little birds have eaten, the cardinals swoop in to eat their fill.

While the little birds were eating, I could hear a blue jay calling. All of the little birds scattered. I saw the blue jay fly by the feeder and then leave. Maybe the feeder is not big enough to allow the blue jay to feel comfortable about eating here.

No comments: