The current project is to finish a Roman shade.
We apparently must cut back power consumption. The power company has been asked to meet conservation requirements. The way that the company can do that is to go back to its customers and ask them to cut consumption. At this point, the power company is sending customers a letter comparing the customer's usage with that of homes "in the neighborhood."
We were told that we rank 88 out of 100 neighborhood homes. I really would like to know more specifically what homes are considered "in the neighborhood." I can walk up and down the street where we live and easily see evidence the owners are doing little differently from us. So many people are complaining about this letter campaign that I wonder if perhaps the power company just wrote in numbers.
We, make that I, have been keeping the thermostat at about 60° F. The family has complained bitterly about it ever since I lowered the thermostat several years ago. Roger says that our home is significantly larger than many of the homes near us since we built the addition. I wonder if we are being compared to the condominiums south of us.
The fact is that we do need window covers. I started making the Roman shade for one window during the summer and bogged down with it. On the weekend, I looked it over and decided it needs to be a little wider. I cut a new section matching the pattern in the fabric and stitched it together. I pressed the side hems back. Sunday we went up into the attic and brought down the Thinsulate and lining fabrics. Thinsulate is a thermal interlining for garments as well as household things like window covers. I had intended to cut the lining and interlining yesterday but was side tracked. It may have been a blessing in disguise because I found the lining I had cut and prepared for the shade. It may not be wide enough since I made the shade wider but I will check it today.
Yesterday we decided to go through a filing cabinet and discard things we no longer need. We made a lot of space in the files. We have a lot of paper for recycling. There is still a lot more we need to go through.
Without intending it that way, it looks like we are trying to make a fresh start for the new year.
No comments:
Post a Comment