Today is Labor Day; it is a national holiday and is as late as it can be this year. I will explain for those who are not in the US. Labor Day floats; it is always the first Monday in September. Last year it was as early as possible, 1 Sep. Since this was not a leap year, it is as late as it can be.
Thanksgiving is another floating holiday. It is always the fourth Thursday in November and unlike other national holidays, must be declared by the President. Even though it must be officially declared, the probability of its not being declared is zilch.
Labor Day usually signifies the end of the summer. I hardly need Labor Day for that. When I walk in the morning, it is hard to avoid noticing that the sun is coming up later. There is now not even the glimmer of the pending sunrise when I get to the health club. In fact, by the time we got back home this morning, the sun was not even fully up. Because there was no sign of the sun when I got to the health club, the birds were not yet singing. It will be really silent after the first heavy frost.
Yes, isn't that little perfume bottle amazing? I have it in the living room where I can see it as I stitch. I can actually see the cut glass designs in it. Scroll back down to look at the little detail.
2 comments:
HI Linda.
Thank you for your explanations. It look like fall is getting there with you sooner than here but then I think your country is higher on the map than ours. I think we are as high as New York. Have a nice Labor Day.Riet
PS I couldn't find a labor day card. :))
We have August Bank Holiday, which is always the last Monday in August, so that was as late as it can be this year
Post a Comment