Sunday, September 13, 2009


For this time in September, our weather is unseasonably warm. It is also quite humid. It feels like a lazy, hazy summer day; and it is hazy too. As soon as the sun sets, the temperature drops much more quickly than it does in July or August.

The chipmunks and squirrels are busily running to and fro. I can only assume that the squirrels are preparing for winter. Quite a few seedling oak trees have sprouted in our yard compliments of the squirrels. I frequently see that the squirrels have something in their mouths. The chipmunks are also very busying carrying things around in the backyard. In addition, they spend a lot of time chattering.

Small birds, primarily chickadees, are very interested in the hollyhocks that are going to seed. We saw a couple hummingbirds checking out the tomatoes last week and think they may be the last ones of the season. A couple weeks ago, lots and lots of little beetles were all over our bean plants eating the leaves and mating. There are still a few last ones in the beans. I wonder if this means that we will have lots more beetles next year. I wonder if we want any beetles next year.

The little beetles are a very handsome iridescent bronze with an iridescent green head. They have seriously eaten the bean plants. I hope we do not have an infestation next year because we hope to try growing some French filet beans.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Beautiful beetles even if they are a nuisance. I get some similar ones, irridescent emerald green all over, on my mint plant. They don't seem to do it any harm, but I don't think much CAN damage mint