Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lessons From the Cat


What a strange day it was yesterday. We lost electricity for about two hours. Apparently there was a major problem at a nearby substation. A fairly large area was affected. So what do you do on a cold day with no electricity? No lights, no sewing machine, no magnifying light, no computer, no flat press, no television, no DVD player, no oven. But we did have the stove top which is separate from the oven and gas; we did have to light it with a match but that was hardly a problem. We also had the hand powered emergency radio.

I had just cut some fabric but could not fuse the pieces together because I could not use my flat press. It would have made no difference; I could not sew the parts together because I could not use my sewing machine.

Roger and I looked out the window with the cat. There were lots of birds in the backyard, robins, juncos, sparrows, blue jays, chickadees, and a couple downy woodpeckers. The three of us were enchanted by the birds. The picture is not very good because we did not have time to get the telephoto lens out. To make up for the poor quality, I gussied up the picture. :-) It is one of the woodpeckers in the wood shed. It is not pecking at the wood but tearing shreds off the piece on which it is standing. It flung the shreds to the side, you can see a little collection of them piling up on the shelf to the right of the split wood. This is much the same technique Mooch uses to tear brown paper bags. But, Mooch scatters the scraps all over the house.

Mooch had a lot to teach us yesterday about how to enjoy life.

No comments: