The sounds are all around. In the early morning, the spring peepers are joined now by bird song. The robins and cardinals are busy declaring their territory even before the sun is up. During the winter as I walk in the morning, I am accompanied only by traffic sounds. Now the birds and other creatures are a welcome addition. This morning I heard a pheasant squawking.
There are indications that wild turkeys may soon be occupying the park behind our home. Last weekend, one appeared to be checking out the park. We all ran out to see it but it went into a little grove of trees. A black lab that was out for a walk flushed the turkey out of the trees. The turkey ran out of the trees and took off in flight over the houses. This was the first time I have ever seen a wild turkey in flight. It was breathtaking, a very impressive sight to think that a bird that large can get up as high in the air as fast as it did.
In Minnesota, we say there are two seasons, winter and road construction. Yes, I can hear the sounds of road construction too. It is a tenth of a mile from us but I can hear it clearly. Not only that but because we are extremely dry right now, it is raising a lot of dirty dust into the air. It is only going to become worse as the construction progresses. I can only hope the end results are worth the inconvenience. I am certain that some will not feel they are better served; for us, it will not make much difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment