Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bird Feeders

Yesterday, I finally made myself order a new hummingbird feeder and a jelly feeder for the orioles. It has been so incredibly easy to put off this easy task.

Even if the old hummingbird feeder had not deteriorated so much because it was old, I would have gotten a new one. The old one did not have perches for the hummingbirds to stand on while they ate. It takes a lot of energy for them to hover while they eat. With the new feeder, we stand a chance of seeing the babies at the feeder. Last year was the first year that hummingbirds came to our feeder. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing them.

In the past, the hummingbirds may have been telling us that they really prefer feeders with perches. They would come into the garden. This year, I will be planting more things that they like in the garden. Butterflies also like the same things so I hope that we will see more of them too.

A friend suggested that we get a jelly feeder to attract orioles. I ordered one that has two little cups for jelly and two places to attach an orange half. I hope that the orioles approve of it.

Both feeders should arrive in ample time to get them out for the birds to have as they return to Minnesota.

No comments: