Thursday, July 21, 2011

Would You Believe - - -

Blue hydrangeas are blue only if they are in acidic soil; if not, they are pink. 



This is Endless Summer.  I did not uniformly acidify the soil.  On the one bush, there have been flowers in pink, bluish pink, mauve, lavender, and blue. 












This is Nikko Blue; it really is not hardy in our winter temperatures.  Please do not tell it that; the bloom has been gorgeous this year.  I acidified the soil better and more evenly.  Its color ranges from an intense medium blue to a pale, baby blue. 








This is the third summer I have had my geranium.  I keep it in the house during the winter.  In the spring it is very leggy and unattractive.  After I cut it back, it comes back as beautiful as ever. 









The apricots are not quite ripe enough for us to pick them.  But the squirrels are harvesting them now.  They don't even eat the flesh.  They just tear it off and bite open the pit to get to the kernel.  I am not certain the little pipsqueeks will even leave us apricots. 

Tuesday I gave the mom the baby sampler; I also posted the red, white and blue needlebook to its new owner.  If nothing else does, this gives me a sense of accomplishment. 

No comments: