I have to admit that at the moment I am extremely tired. I am not certain I will feel like working on the slip after I finish this blog entry. I have what I think are some interesting construction ideas that I am dying to try out so I just may turn on the sewing machine and heat up the iron when I finish here.
I stitched the back the same way that I stitched the front. The major difference here is that there is less body curvature to accommodate so the seam 31-32 acts more like a miter and less like a dart.
As you can see, I interfaced the button placket sides. I opted for fast and dirty as opposed to 1912 techniques. I used fusible interfacing. If I were trying to be more accurate, I would have used a strip of organdy, stitching it in place at the fold like with herringbone catch stitches.
I am tempted to think a shaped interfacing might work better than folding the extension to the inside of the slip. The one reason standing in the way of that is the fact that it would add the bulk of a seam at the fold line. So, in the end, it is probably better to press the extension to the inside, clipping it where necessary to make it lie flat.
I clipped the top of the center back seam to be able to open the seam allowances to press the seam. Unfortunately Blogger does not want to post my picture top edge up. I have tried everything I can think of including cropping the picture. You will just have to turn your head to the side if you want to see it top edge up.
The slip is not designed to fit Agatha Amelia's shape. Agatha Amelia is a standard dressmaker's form. I think it is a size 14 prior to the most recent sizing standardization. The front of the slip gapes a little as you can see in the picture.
The extra room could intentionally be there to accommodate the push-up effect of a corset. If one does not plan to wear a corset, this should be fitted out. It might be possible to pull the ribbon a little tight in the beading to ease in the fullness but I am not certain it would look good under the garment of choice.
I found this insertion in my stash and it is the correct width. As I began to pin it in place, I developed a couple ideas about how to work with the laces and insertion. I am anxious to see if my ideas have any merit.
The day was extremely dark yesterday. It was very hard to get a decent picture of the slip. I am hoping that before I finish up my blog entries following the construction of the slip, I can get a decent picture of the entire slip.





2 comments:
Wow Linda It loks as if you are almost done, how much fun you mustbe having.
Blessings
Catherine
This is looking so great! I haven't gotten my pattern yet but I can't wait!
Post a Comment