Yesterday I got my first pattern in the 1912 Project. Threads magazine has a nice, brief description of the project; click here to read it.
Monday we were offered a challenge project to stitch this princess line slip. This garment would have been worn next to the skin, under the corset. A chemise like garment would have been worn over the corset to conceal it. Oh yes, under the slip one would wear pantalettes. Talk about layers of garments, even in the 1910's.
After resolving some issues opening the downloaded pattern file, we printed the pattern last night.
This afternoon, I crawled around on the floor to tape the sections together. The pattern pieces lined up with remarkable ease. I was pleased with how well the sections matched each other.
The construction looks quite straightforward and, I think, deceptively simple. The lace and eyelet trimming make the construction more complex. Since my purpose is to work out the construction, I will sample the pattern with some light weight blue broadcloth that I have.
Following that, I will sample out the application of the lace and eyelet as suggested in the accompanying directions. I have a feeling that in 1912, the lace and eyelet would have been stitched using what we now refer to as French heirloom sewing techniques, not the way described in the directions.
It remains to be seen whether or not I will actually construct the slip in batiste, lace, and eyelet when I have finished this process.
You may become tired with my progress reports. We are all expected to document our progress. We can do this on the 1912 Project blog or on our own blogs if we link to the 1912 Project blog. So for now, I am starting out here.



5 comments:
Oh my gosh Linda, what a project you are doing I cannot wait to see the finished slip.
Blessings sent your way.
Catherine
Sounds fascinating. I think I would have given up right about the sticking lots of A4 pattern pieces together stage
I have that pattern too but have not printed it out yet. I won't be able to get to it till Sunday, The slip is actually worn over the corset. By the turn of the century the combination was being worn so that helped eliminate the bulk.A combination is the chemise and the drawers in one piece. There are times I wish it was around in the 1830's or 1860's. The corset was then worn over it and then the slip. If you think about the length of the slip and trying to use the facilities it would have been really difficult.
I am looking forward to seeing your progress.
I just wanted to say "hi" from the Twin Cities. I volunteered to work on this challenge project as well, though I asked to have it mailed to me (so I have not yet received it). It's so fun to know that there is someone in my neighborhood working on this project too. Are you by chance in group 7?
What an amazing project. i will follow with interest.
Post a Comment