Sunday, February 26, 2012

Getting Close to Completion

As I stitched the beading to the neckline, I made two discoveries.
1.  I could have basted the inside edge of the bias tape which is standing in for the insertion to hold it in place.  Then I could have placed the edge of the beading over the insertion and stitched them in place together.
2.  Do you see that little margin of fabric extending beyond the beading?  I am going to fold it to the right side of the slip and press it in place.  Then I am going to poke the 2-inch lace down between the slip fabric and the beading and stitch all three together.  Wait until you see my substitution for the 2-inch lace.

Speaking of 2-inch lace.  I have two ideas about that.  Originally I was going to use something that would simulate an half-inch wide flat edging because I thought that might work better than 2-inch wide.  I did decide to use a 2-inch wide and I had a very pleasant surprise.  I applied it as a flat edging without gathering it because the picture looks more like a flat application.  Just the process of applying the wide flat edging took in a little of the front neckline so that it was gaping much less.  Then I mitered in a little more in the corners and that took in more of the gaping front neckline.  So, I think I would recommend using a 2-inch wide lace and applying it flat.

I stitched the 2-inch wide quick and dirty.  The miters are not very well done and are still pinned in place but it is enough to give you the general idea of what I am doing.

 Yes, the substitute for 2-inch wide lace is seersucker.  I folded back a small hem along one edge and stitched it in place with my shell stitch feature.  Then I cut off a strip 2 inches wide, more or less. 

In this picture, you can see from the inside of the slip how I slid the seersucker down between the beading and the slip fabric. 


 In this picture, you can see the miter of the seersucker strip and how more fabric can be drawn into it to relieve the gaping neckline. 

You can also see an issue which I forgot to resolve.  I did plan the placement of the beading so the ribbon would be tied in a bow at the center front.  But, I neglected to manipulate the beading to give me an attractive way to turn the ribbon in the corner. 

The slip is flat so it is a little difficult to give you an accurate picture of it.  The space above the bustline looks a bit graceless.  It does look better on the dress form with contours behind it. 

This picture gives you a little idea how the slip can look on a contoured form.  It does have very flattering lines.

I still have the 2-inch wide "lace" to apply to the armseyes.  I think that I will only do one because after all, no one is going to wear this. 
 
I have been a little silent here and barely working on my slip, on any cross stitching, on keeping the house tidy.  I hope this week to take up and continue working on what I have put down and to start some new tidiness habits. 

To that end, I feel virtuous today.  Friday I found, quite by chance, someone who actually wants my old copies of Threads magazines.  I have all of them from the current issue back to the premier issue.  I also have the CD with all issues through 2011.  I had a difficult time with the idea of putting the old magazines in recycling so they sat on the floor in the basement.  Now that I found a good home for them where they will be appreciated, I can finish sanitizing them.  I wrote my name on some that I had loaned out; I am blacking out my name and I am pulling off mailing labels. 

Today one of our sons helped me sort through my turtlenecks, tee-shirts, and sweatshirts.  That is a fairly non-threatening collection reduction.  I did not discard as many turtlenecks as I thought I would but at least I can get them into two boxes and one small drawer; if I get any new ones, I will have to discard that many from what I have.  Again with the tee-shirts, I did not discard that many but what I still have fits into one large drawer.  Some of the older and more stretched out sweatshirts are gone.  The sad thing about that is that I still like them and cannot find any like them now. 

3 comments:

Christine said...

Great work on the slip Linda, I wonder if the largeness at the bust is due to the ammount of corsetting they used to wear?

diamondc said...

LInda: You have done a great job, it is lovely.
I can relate to getting rid of some clothing, I miss a jacket I got rid of last year I till look for one similar to wear when I go shopping, oh how we long for our old favorites.
I hope all is well with you, I sure hope we can get together in the spring.
Hugs sent your way
Catherine

Annabelle said...

Linda, this is looking great! I started the corset cover, but the proportions are just ridiculous. I am going to redraft it a bit so it will fit me without a corset.