Friday, October 14, 2011
Fall has come to MN. Our warm temperatures have turned into more normal ones for October. We have had some desperately needed rain. It was a little brisk this morning as we drove to the health club. The sky was still dark when we came back home. Wispy clouds scudded in front of the moon. It looks fairly clear right now as the sun shines through the trees. Here are my six little pumpkins; we hope they will ripen. We also hope the squirrels will not eat them. Unfortunately, I will bring the most solidly colored pumpkin into the house. A squirrel has bitten into it. I can only hope that we can keep it on the porch long enough for it to fully ripen. They are heirloom Small Sugar pumpkins and are supposed to be extremely tasty. I only hope they make good pies.
The nasturtium are still looking cheerful. As soon as we have a killing frost, we will take them out. I think we will leave the sunflower stalks until the spring. They will provide the winter birds with a place to perch. They are the hazy background plants behind the nasturtiums. :-)
While the pictures uploaded, I washed and cut a grapefruit. As I did so, I had an opportunity to check the backyard. Right out there in the grass below the row of pumpkins was a squirrel. I wonder if it realized that I had taken the prime pumpkin away.
I hope the raccoons are staying away. News reports indicate that some raccoons in the general area have canine distemper. Some have been found just south of us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Hi Linda: I use cayenne pepper it puts a little burn on the toes and fingers of the squirrels, it may cost a little but sure helps also there is a product called shake away this is a wonderful produst it keeps many animals away and is safe. Also there is Deer Off this can be found at Fleet Farm, this is also a safe product and last up to three months.
Good luck love your picks.
Catherine
diamondc
Your pumpkins are beautiful, I hop the squirrels leave them alone
Post a Comment