Monday, October 3, 2011

I had such good intentions for yesterday.
1.  Clean the bathroom
2.  Declutter my work table
3.  Paint my little box
4.  Organize and maybe stitch on the baptismal banners
5.  Stitch on a little project for one of my nieces

Such good intentions but that is not the way the day went. 
We found a sale on kitchen appliances so we went to check out the refrigerators.  The findings were not very good.  We knew that if the refrigerator had the same exterior dimensions as our present one, the capacity inside will be less.  It is just a given with the current energy efficiency standards. 

What we found out was not what we had expected.  Given the size of our family, the refrigerators that will fit into the space that is in our kitchen are now much too small inside.  There were a couple that we could manage to use based on their capacity but it turned out they would not work in our space even through they would "fit."  There is not enough clearance with the cabinets directly across for the refrigerator door to open. 

The three guys wanted to try the one with french doors and a bottom roll out freezer.  I am all in favor of bottom freezers, especially roll out ones.  What they guys did not realize and did not want to understand is that the doors will hold significantly less than the door of our current refrigerator and that we depend upon the door for storage of small things like condiments.  None of the three options that might be big enough inside has a meat drawer.  It is a "deli drawer".  It is high enough to hold yogurt containers, lunch meat packages, and cheese.  We could not put a chicken or roast in it. 

Because of issues with clearance for the door/s we think we could not remove the vegetable bins and deli draw to clean the refrigerator. 

The long and short of it all is that if we get a new refrigerator, we will first have to do some major remodeling in the kitchen.  At the very least, we would have to pull all the cabinets from one wall; make a place for the refrigerator where the wall oven and some cabinets are now.  Then make a place for the wall oven where the refrigerator is now and then try to add back as much of the cabinets as possible.  We would probably have to have some cabinets made because the sizes will not be standard. 

If we have to do that much, I think we would be ahead to completely remodel the kitchen.  Right now we are telling the refrigerator that it has to hold out for several more years.  As a preliminary step Dan, who does a lot of the food prep, and I need to sit down to determine what we think works in the kitchen and what we think does not work. 

This is very misleading because Roger still needs to finish the basement bathroom before he can finish the basement which he has to do before he can tear out the upstairs bathrooms to resolve a water problem which is imperative.  I really do not know how much of this we can feasibly do. 

So what did I accomplish yesterday? 
1.  I painted another coat on my little box. 
2.  I stitched a little on my project for one of my nieces.  Maybe I ought to take a picture of it so you can see it. 

1 comment:

diamondc said...

Linda: What a list I adore people who do lists I am one who makes list but forgets to use it.
Catherine
diamondc