Saturday, September 3, 2011

In the Garden

This past week we finished thinning and replanting the iris for this year.  As we were putting the iris back into the beds, I finally discovered what is on the front end of a little brown rear end and tail that I had seen several times as the front end buried itself in the plants.  As we were working, we discovered a pair of little shiny eyes watching us.  It turns out that that cute little brown butt belongs to a weasel.  It also seems that when the weasel is visiting us the chipmunks are not.  The chipmunks have been out for the past couple days and we have not see the weasel. 


This is going to be primarily a picture gallery.  I went outside to take a picture of the single flower on my hummingbird vine.  I planted the seeds because hummingbirds are supposed to like the flowers but my vines are not being very productive.    

   
                                             
The flower is very small, just a little more than an inch long and a little less that 3/4 inch in diameter.  It appears to last for only a day.  There are a lot of buds; I hope that they have enough time to mature. 


I decided to wait to see if the hummingbirds would come.  They did but the close-up lens is not exactly the best choice for them.  I changed out the lens and tried again. 


While I waited, a bumblebee visited one of the tomato plants.  It also visited the marigolds that are growing under the tomato but that picture was not quite as good as this one. 

I sat in one of the chairs on the patio and waited patiently for the hummingbirds.  They did not seem to like sharing the backyard with me but they did eventually come to the feeder.  The pictures are not the best because of my position in relation to the sun.   But I could not get them in the picture from any other angle. 





The humming bird is eating at the feeder.







I was able to catch it in midair as it approached the feeder. 







One little pumpkin growing in the garden - - -
This variety does not grow very big; it is a pie pumpkin and that is what this one will become.  We will have three, possibly four more. 




One little melon that is beginning to mature - - -
If we are lucky, there are two, maybe three more. 



A general view of the garden - - -

I can see that I will have to learn how to take pictures with the gazing globe. 


                                                                    

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

These pictures are fabulous Linda! I love the little creatures and growing garden.

Christine said...

Great pictures, hummingbirds seem so exotic to me