Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hummingbirds

I honestly do not know if the weather will hold long enough for the hummingbird vine to have more than a couple flowers open at a time.  I really did not expect the hummingbirds to find it. 

Today there are three flowers open on the vine.  One of them is visible in the picture.  It is at the top and just slightly left of center.  This morning, a hummingbird found the vine and ate from each of the three flowers.  When it had finished, it flew around the terrace and then hovered in front of the window from which I was watching.  I wonder if it knew that I was watching.  I wonder if it could even see through the window or was it just a reflecting mirror? 

The hummingbirds fascinate me.  They are so small it does not seem possible that they do what they do and that they migrate such long distances.  By comparison, the goldfinches, nuthatches, and chickadees which all seem so small when I watch them during the winter, seem big.  The blue jays and crows seem like flying monsters. 

Earlier this week, I made fresh syrup for the feeder.  When I had the feeder in the house to clean it and refill it, a couple hummingbirds flew around the empty space where it hangs.  They would hover and appeared to look through the empty space.  It made me hurry out with the freshly cleaned and filled feeder. 

No comments: