Monday, September 5, 2011

Hummingbirds may be quite common here in Minnesota but I still think of them as exotic.  The ruby throat is the only hummingbird that comes here.  This is well within its summer nesting range.  They go as far north as southern Canada to nest.  Their summer range is a little west of the Mississippi River. I have always wanted to attract hummingbirds to my home but until a couple years ago, I was not successful. 

This is a federal holiday, Labor Day.  It is always the first Monday of September and it signifies the end of the summer.  One of our sons has the day off and the other does not.  Sometimes I think that Roger is on a perpetual holiday since he retired.   I, on the other hand, am completely unable to retire from the housework.  It is just after noon.  I have
1.  one load of sheets drying in the backyard on the clothesline and a second load still in the washer.
2.  tidied, dusted, and vacuumed the bedroom.
3.  some beans baking in the oven and will make a peach pie shortly. 

Yesterday I took everything out of the cabinet under the kitchen sink, cleaned it, and reorganized it.  I do not understand how I can throw out so much stuff and still the cabinet looks as full as it did when I began.  I did it because one of my sons said that if I cleaned up a little he would clean up a little too.  He did; the counters are much less cluttered.  Today I am going to clean off the top of my work table, down to the Roman shade that is on the bottom.  I want to finish it and hang it.  I wonder what my son will clean up next.

This morning as I hung the pillows out to air, one of the hummingbirds came over.  It seemed like it was trying to chase me away so it could eat alone.  As I hung out the sheets, it came over and chattered at me.  As soon as I checked on it from the house, it was in the feeder.  I thought that hummingbirds were supposed to have an affinity for people.  The ones that come to our feeder do not seem to like each other either.  They are constantly scrapping at the feeder and chasing each other around.  I understand that they can be quite territorial.  I do have to admit that they are very entertaining. 

No comments: