That is, if you can call it singing. Monday as I hung sheets out to dry, they were invisible but audible in the trees. They had their high-pitched buzz saw whines in high gear. While I hung out the sheets, something was dive bombing me. For all I know it was the locusts. The temperature was high and it seemed like the humidity was higher.
Yesterday there was no relief from the temperature or the humidity. In addition, I watched rain spread in from the southeast. Generally our weather comes from the west or northwest so this was a little unusual. The storm was quite strong too. Although I could not see lightening, there was a lot of thunder. The rain only increased the humidity. Later in the evening we got some more thunderstorms, this time from the west. Until the weekend, we are supposed to have a lot of heat and humidity. That always brings the threat of serious storms.
Yup, we are in the Dog Days of Summer. That is not because the days are so hot the dogs like to lie around in the shade. The Dog Days of Summer are so called because this is when the Dog Star, Sirius in the constellation Canis Major shows in our sky. It just happens in my part of the world that August has a reputation of being extremely hot and frequently humid. For us, "Dog Days" imply hot, humid weather and the lazy, hazy weather of summer. The plants like this. The tomatoes and raspberries are growing fast and furiously. We will have a bumper crop of tomatoes. I just hope we can keep up with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment