Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Garden is a Jungle!

Our weather has been hot and humid.  It seems to be tomato, raspberry plant, squash, and pumpkin growing weather. 

The raspberries are so very tall, over 6 feet, that it is unbelievable.  I hope we can keep the rabbits away from them during the winter.  If the rabbits get to them and eat around the canes at snow level, we will loose everything (more than half of the height of the canes) above.  The more of the canes we can preserve, the larger our raspberry crop next year. 

The tomato plants are almost 6 feet tall themselves.  They are continuing to grow and produce blossoms at the ends.  It seems like it will take forever for the tomatoes to ripen.  Watching for tomatoes to ripen is akin to watching for a pot to boil. 

It looks like the apple tree is growing a pumpkin. 
We may have to rig a sling in the tree to support the weight of the pumpkin.  It appears that there is a second pumpkin. 


The apple tree is also hosting two squash; one of which is in this picture.  Today I took the squash vine off the raspberry plants.  I doubt that will last very long.  It looks like deer have been eating the lower leaves on the vines so perhaps the vines are running into the apple tree out of self-preservation. 






A sampling of the cucumbers - I should probably pick up some fresh dill to make cucumber salad this evening.  We should make an effort to grow dill if we plan to grow cucumbers.  It would make life a lot simpler for us. 


Nasturtium   
For a splash of color, a couple flowers.  Thursday I picked up five new perennials for the front garden.  Friday morning I planted them with the hope that they would be watered in if it rained. 

Impatien 

2 comments:

Christine said...

Hang a banana in amongst your tomatoes, it will help them ripen

nela said...

interesting ... beautiful tomato, I like your garden ... now
attack rabbits?? jajajja deer, rabbits ardllas ..
I have only iguanas ..
kisses
nela