Sunday, April 25, 2010

Folk Art

It is wonderfully curious how many similarities there are between folk art traditions. Being curious about Canal Art, I did some Googling.

First I want to show you some Russian Lacquer work pins. They are similar to the three I found on Friday. Two of the three I found are signed. Scroll down to see the selection of pins. Click on an individual pin to see an enlargement of it.

Canal Art is very similar to tole painting in the US. We tend to think more of tole painting on metal but it is still tole painting if it is done on wood. Here is another website with lots of information about canal art.

Bauernmalerei is the traditional folk art of Bavarian Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.

Rosemaling is traditional to Norway. There are three main styles of Rosemaling but within the three main styles there are variations and hybridizations.

All of these art traditions have shared qualities and I am certain a little research will produce much information about other folk art traditions. Just as certainly, they will have similar qualities.

I have had training in rosemaling and have picked up Bauernmalerei.

3 comments:

The Mad Stitcher said...

Linda, you are such a talented woman! I love reading your blog to see what else you have up your sleeve. lol I love tole painting and found these sites very interesting. Thank you for sharing them.

Anonymous said...

Really interesting, Linda! Great site- particularly the Russian brooches ( I want one!) and the 2nd Canal arts site with its link to cbin crochet.

Anonymous said...

I have bought one of the Russian brooches- the heart shape one with yellow flowers!