Saturday, May 19, 2012

More Iris

This is so much earlier than usual for the iris to be coming out. 
First, the uncertain iris from yesterday is, in fact, Gigolo.  I went back to my  reference pictures to confirm it. 
Now for today's irises. 
The first one is the one that opened first but I did not go out in time to get a picture.  It normally is not one of the first ones but it is growing along the back of the house and we had such an unusual spring with the early warm temperatures that encouraged it to come out. 




I have a fondness for the very dark iris.  This one is Old Black Magic.  There really is not a black iris, just very dark varieties of red, purple, blue, or brown.  I am fairly certain Black Swan will bloom this year.  You can compare it to OBM.  I have another one, Interpol, which will most likely not bloom this year. 

Another favorite is maroonish, gold, or combined maroonish and gold.  I used to have them all in one garden which we called the Gopher Garden.  We both graduated from the University of MN; the school colors are maroon and gold and the mascot is Goldie, the golden gopher.  It really is not a gopher but a 13-stripe ground squirrel commonly referred to as a gopher. 

This is Kahili.  The next picture is the inside of Kahili. 



Do you remember the viola yesterday?  Here it is today.  The two flowers that were open are the upper two.  Today, two more flowers are open.  Another flower or two will perhaps open tomorrow. 




The weigela is open and has been open since last week.  The bush is still very small; in fact it is so small that it still fits under the birdbath.  I planted it for the hummingbirds.  If you look at the full size picture, you can see a couple ants on the flowers.  The ants also get into the hummingbird feeder. 




One of the Siberian iris.  I am not yet certain which one this is, either Augury or Lavender Bounty.  I have dug them up, separated them, and replanted them all around the garden.  I am inclined to think this is Lavender Bounty. 





Nascent raspberry blossoms.  Once again we foiled the rabbits and will have a decent raspberry crop. 



The final picture, the gigantic rhubarb plant
I did not think to put something in the picture to enable you to judge its size.  Just take it from me that it is huge. 

3 comments:

viv said...

More lovely pictures of your MN spring. I enjoyed seeing each one. Our iris are past bloom now, but the lavender and hydrangeas are beautiful. It was in the 90's earlier, but has cooled off due to storms in surrounding counties.

Christine said...

You seem to move from Winter to Spring much more quickly than we do.
My rhubarb is threatening to take over too

Annabelle said...

Your garden is so beautiful! I am jealous of what you are able to grow. The strange weather from this year caused my tulips to come up much earlier, but the cold weather that followed prevented them from blooming - which made me sad since I love tulips. My peonies and roses are just starting to bud - so I am looking forward to that.