Saturday, January 14, 2012

Kachelofen

In another forum, someone asked me about our ceramic oven, kachelofen in German.  I decided to also answer here because I need an excuse to post an entry.  :-)

This is our oven; the interior is cast iron and the exterior is thick ceramic tile.  The tile is held away from the cast iron body so the tile is never too hot to touch.  The oven is free standing, about two feet from the wall.  Our building code requires this and the fact that we tiled the wall was considered a friendly gesture. 

We first saw ceramic ovens in Germany in the early 1970's and fell in love with them.  At the time we planned to build this addition to the house, we discovered an US source for German ovens.  Ours can burn coal or wood but we have never used coal in it.

Ceramic ovens are very common in northern European countries and frequently are built into homes, hotels, inns, etc.  Ours is not built in and is considered portable but I am certain no one is going to want to move it around at will.  Whether the oven is traditional or more modern, highly decorated or simple, I think they are one of the best ideas around.

This link shows a variety of styles.  This one has a little technical information about how the ovens work.

No comments: