Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Show Off Time

Two pictures for you to see - - -
We had to bring in the first little pumpkin.  As the vine continues to dry, it looses its ability to hold the pumpkin securely in the tree or even on the ground, if it had elected to remain land-bound. 
The second pumpkin which is even smaller remains in the tree.  We are not certain it will turn orange before the weather forces us to bring it inside.  Speaking of inside, this little beauty is inside.  I do not want to take chances by tempting the squirrels with it.  I learned my lesson last year. 

About the woodpecker cakes - - -
I called it that because I was not certain it was suet and did not want to claim it was if it was not.  Yesterday, I made the effort to retrieve the container.  It is suet.  After it has been rendered, bird seed is mixed into to it.  It is molded into little rectangular cakes which fit into the little cage like gizmo that I hook onto the line for the flag and literally run it up the flagpole.  No one is about to salute it and I am certain the squirrels are thumbing their noses at me.  Last year, this was an excellent squirrel deterrent.  I only wish I could do as well with the other feeders. 

Progress on the fabric covered box - - -
I have covered the top of the lid and the bottom of the box.  The process seems to be coming along fairly well.  The tricky part is having enough glue on the box surface to make the fabric adhere but not so much that it squeezes through the weave of the fabric. 

1 comment:

Christine said...

Ah yes, I remember the squirrel damage last year.
I like the japanese looking fabric you're using on your box