Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Little Bit of Everything

First off, a little bragging to show you my progress on the Christmas stocking. 

There is a monumental amount of backstitching.  My timeline says that if I can finish the upper portion of the stocking by the end of August and the lower portion by the end of September, I can assemble the stocking in October.  Right now I am running painfully close to the timeline. 

Last weekend I did very little stitching.  We joined extended family at the lake cottage for Saturday.  That meant I devoted much time to food preparations. 

I did do a little knitting while we were at the lake.  I have begun the second mitten.  

S'more bars.  I got in a little too close for you to get a good idea.  Suffice it to say that is marshmallow cream oozing out because I cut it before it had time enough to cool.  Of course, you can see the chocolate on the bottom of the pan.  Marshmallow and chocolate have to be one of the basic food groups. 

Olive herb bread just because I had a craving for it.  Only half of our family eats olives so two loaves could be a bit much.  We liked the recipe and brought the second loaf to the cottage.  Other olive eaters liked the recipe too.  After I a couple adjustments in the recipe I know that it will become a favorite.  Because the recipe will not divide in half very well, I will be making the whole recipe and hope that the bread freezes well. 

A family favorite:  bundt pound cake.  What more can I say?  We all like it and always hope to bring home a couple pieces. 

I also made Oriental Chicken Slaw.  Of course, we had plenty of leftovers.  My formula is to determine how much I need, double it and then make a little more.  The worst possible thing would be to run out of food. 

Speaking of running out of food, the hummingbirds are at the feeders getting ready for their southern migration.  It seems that we have one regular who is very territorial.  It is even trying to chase the wasps away. 

3 comments:

diamondc said...

Linda: Your stocking is looking lovely, almost done, when I am so close to a finish I get antsy, I have the ice cream for the dessert I'll be right over.
Blessings
Catherine

Christine said...

88 unnoercThe stocking is looking wonderful Linda.
I'm one of the few people who can't abide marshmallows, its the texture of them, shudder! The olive bread looks fabulous though

viv said...

Great progres on the stocking.
Would you share the olive herb loaf recipe. It sounds luscious.