Does that sound scholarly? In reality, it is not quite so.
The Christmas tree is outside now and the decorations are back in the attic. There are still a couple things left and a little more clean-up to do.
Tuesday I finished assembling the ornament on the left which I will call the first one. The one on the right is the second one and was finished first and given away in December.
Son, Dan, designed this to go with a set of three based upon the New Testament Christmas story that were done by a very gifted professional designer. The object here was to make a co-ordinating set of three based upon the Old Testament Savior prophesies.
Originally Dan planned to use the names of the Savior from Isiah and which feature in Handel's Messiah, Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, well you get the idea. When I mentioned this to one of our pastors, she suggested working with the prophesies. I was hesitant to suggest this to Dan because I did not want to stifle his creativity. I did and he came up with the basic idea for a set of three.
He utilized the colors and basic design of the original set of three. As the designer, Dan did the stitching with the exception of the row of yellow eyelets. He does not like to stitch eyelets so I got to do them as well as all of the finishing. He doesn't like to do that either.
Dan came to an impasse on the first ornament. There was an error in the
wording which is stitched in cross stitches with one thread over one fabric thread. To pick it out was a monumental task which he decided to put off since we still had a second ornament and he could work with some ideas on it.
I am going to upload the picture here a second time so that you do not have to scroll back up to see it.
If you look again at it, you will notice that the argyle like design in the upper right corner is different. The light and dark shades of the coral are reversed.
The color progression of one is dark to light from the center of the diamond shape out and the other is light to dark moving outward. The appearance of the first ornament is more like what would be produced by a soft focus lens while the second one is more sharply defined. It resembles what would happen if you drew a picture and outlined the elements with black. Do you want a romantic soft focus or a clear, bright effect?
In the picture, the light colors look darker than they actually are. One thing we realized is that the mock blackwork needs to be done with a darker shade, particularly so with the row of snowflakes but it would also help the green shoot. Blackwork is done with black thread for a reason - it shows up well. We tried a medium blue with the dark blue in the scroll at the bottom of the second try and are much more pleased with it.
The flowers are poinsettias. We know they are not mentioned in the Bible but we decided to use them because we have poinsettias at Christmas. The eyelets and Smyrna cross stitches are suggestive of stars.
The stitches used in this design are:
1. Algerian Eyelet
2. Smyrna Cross Stitch
3. One over One Cross Stitch
4. Over two Cross stitch
5. Blackwork Technique
The extra special nice thing about this design is that the sermon series for Advent dealt with the family tree of Jesus.




4 comments:
Beautiful work love the colors, so very vintage looking.
Catherine
They are lovely Linda. I think I like the light in the middle one better, but as you say it is quite personal
Well done. Congrats all around.
they are lovely.
Wow, these are really great. I love the scripture used - looking to the prophesies for inspiration was a great suggestions. They are more unexpected, but completely appropriate.
Post a Comment