Saturday, April 7, 2012

Getting Ready for Easter

First thing this morning, I planted twelve pansies in the front garden.  Yes, it is a little early to do this but the pansies will take cold temperatures.  I had hoped to pick up some sweet alyssum too but there was none available. 













The spring flowers in the back yard are putting in an impressive appearance.





The little purple finch that built her nest on our backdoor light had a near catastrophic experience today; I am not certain that she is even aware of how close she came to loosing all her eggs.  We looked out the window to see if she was in her nest and discovered that the nest was falling off the edge of the light.  Two of the eggs had rolled out of the nest and smashed on the doorstep.  We shoved the nest back into place and then braced it with some tape.  She gets in and out of the nest on the opposite side so we think that she may have shoved it over the edge as she got out of it.  As we anxiously watched for her return, we hoped that she would not abandon the nest.  She still had three eggs.  After her return, she seemed to be aware that something was different but probably could not define the difference.  She seemed to be rearranging the nest around the eggs.  After several hours, she began to settle down but is still a little more active in her nest than previously.

In order to put the webcam video on my blog, I understand that we must maintain an open connection to the internet.  That does not appeal to me so I have decided to not pursue that idea.

Baking has been the order of the day.



Two loaves of bread.

At the moment, I am waiting for the chocolate frosting/filling to thicken;  I really do not want it to all ooze out from between the layers.  This is the fabulous Café Latté Turtle Cake. 
Café Latté
Turtle Cake 

  It does look decidedly decadent, doesn't it?  You would not believe how heavy it is.  It probably will give me a couple pounds just looking at it. 

Here is a picture of my little helper.  The lighting was not very good but I still think it is worth showing you. 


4 comments:

Christine said...

Poor bird, I hope she recovers from her ordeal.
That cake looks amazing. Naomi is in the kitchen as I type, making a simnel cake

Kathryn said...

D'oh! now I have the urge to bake something : )
It was good that you managed to save the nest and remaining eggs.
funny that the bird will never know what happened.

viv said...

Love all your pics and love that you saved the nest.

Annabelle said...

Oh my, that turtle cake looks delicious! I will have to give the recipie a try, thanks for providing the link.