Saturday, November 26, 2011

One Pocket Done

I thought you might like to see that I have completed one of the two pockets. 

As I speak, uhhhmmmm, uhm, uhm, as I write???  No, as I key this message, it is in the post and on its way to its intended owner who will then, I think, decorate it and give it to its ultimate owner.  Now, how is that for a journey? 

Our Thanksgiving was the usual, for us, just the four of us.  The green beans turned out wonderful and I will serve them for the extended family Christmas dinner.  The wild rice pilaf needs to be tweaked so I will not serve it, maybe another year.  It is so very good to be able to try out new things in a situation where nothing is riding on the outcome. 

Our snow was gone except for the odd pile or two on Thanksgiving day.  There is still just a little left.  It rained this morning and may snow tonight.  All in all, our temperatures have been unseasonably warm.  Depending upon where you live, you might not think they are unseasonably warm, but we sure do. 

We did little shopping on Black Friday.  If you are not US residents, you might not know the significance of the name Black Friday.  In the US, the day after Thanksgiving is traditionally a big shopping day.  I do not know how much of it is customer driven and how much is retailer driven but it is a big shopping day, so much so, that some claim it is the day the retailers' books shift from red ink to black ink. 

We shopped at one of the home improvement stores on the way home from the health club.  We went in for a length of lumber and a plumbing elbow.  I checked out the house plant section because I wanted a little wintergreen plant I had seen.  Then I had an idea for which I needed a small spotlight which I found.  I need to try to take pictures of it to show this to you because I simply cannot describe it.  At the checkout counter, we found out that their holiday promotional was a nice poinsettia for 1.00 USD.  All of that popped into our shopping basket, a grand total of not very much. 

2 comments:

Christine said...

You don't know how lucky you are getting your sales before Christmas :D
I must get a poinsettia, it doesn't really feel like Christmas until there is one in the house

viv said...

Love the pocket. First time I can remember going out on Black Friday, but we did this year. Saving 20 percent on two of the grandchildren's gifts was the motivation. Since most of the stores opened at midnight, we had no problem when we went at 9. Actually it was quieter than usual.