Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Day of Experiences

Snow was predicted for today with an accumulation of 1-3 inches by evening.  This is the first accumulation snowfall of the year.  It will not last because next week the temperature will climb to at least 40° F.  This is quite late for a first snowfall. 

At the moment, the sky is very heavily overcast.  This morning at 4:50 or so a.m., the sky was not overcast.  If it had been, I would not have been able to see the most spectacular Leonid meteor.  Most meteors show just a faint streak of light.  This one was phenomenal.   I have never seen such a spectacular meteor and expect to not see one again. 

It is just past the peak of the Leonid Meteor Shower but that did not prevent this one from showing up.
The Perseid Meteor Shower  in August usually puts on a good show too. 

Last but not least, this afternoon, we discovered a red squirrel in the attic.  It looked like it wanted to find a way out.  We have set out a live trap bated with peanut butter.  If the squirrel will go into the trap, we will take it outside and let it go.  I wonder if this is one of the eight Drain Pipe Boys of the summer.  I also wonder how it got inside.  We really need to block that passage. 

1 comment:

Christine said...

Snow! Now I feel all Christmassy.
The Eight Drainpipe Boys would be a fabulous name for a band ;)