Monday, November 28, 2011

The Best Find

It doesn't look like much does it?  It's just a simple portable cabinet light.  But it really is the best find.  We stopped at Home Depot on the way home from the health club on Black Friday.  Roger needed some wood and a plumbing elbow.  I made a beeline to the house plants. 

On the way, you really had to do some fancy footwork to avoid running into a display of LED lights.  They were packaged, two small flashlights and two headlamps.  I glanced at the packages and quite literally the light went on inside my head. 

Several years ago, I found this rather unremarkable and slightly dull "paperweight" at an estate sale.  One of our sons likes paperweights so I thought that he might make a place for it in his room.  It was priced at only a dollar or two.  The price reflected the fact that it was not too highly desirable. 


Even this picture shows it to better advantage.  We could see a couple large, dark bubbles in it and some kind of bubbly swish and that was about it.  That is until one of our sons decided to shine a flashlight up from the bottom. 

It was not a paperweight.  It was a piece of glass art and very arty glass art at that.  Since that discovery, we have been looking for small uplights or something that would illuminate the inside of the glass.  If worst came to worst, we decided that we could make a little stand with a small flashlight light bulb.  But making this stand seemed like a large, not too easy task so the glass art sat on the desk acting like a paperweight. 

When I saw the LED headlight, I ran to the electrical supplies area at Home Depot and carefully examined everything there.  I came up with the little cabinet light.  It looked about the right diameter so it hopped into my  shopping basket. 

As you can see, the little light is just the right size.  It looks like it was made for the glass. 

The final picture shows how the light lights up the glass.  You must keep a couple things in mind.  I am taking a picture of light and while we have a nice camera, it is not a professional camera and I do not have the lighting to make a really spectacular picture.  The color of the light came out yellow.  I PhotoShopped the picture to make it whiter.  The picture is not as sharp and clear as real life.  The large bubbles are a little dim and the swish of tiny bubbles is not quite as sharp.  I think you can get a general idea of what the glass looks like. 

2 comments:

viv said...

Very interesting.

Christine said...

Wow, that looks spectacular, and what a good idea, I've got a small (well tiny) collection of Caithness paperweights and they would look beautiful displayed like this