In Minnesota on the north end of the Mississippi, we do not celebrate Mardi Gras. Although we have a strong German heritage, we hardly know about Fashing. In our household, if it has to do with food, we will give it a try. We have always used Fat Tuesday as a reason to have pancakes for dinner. This year, it seemed like a fun idea to have a King Cake during the days just prior to Mardi Gras.
I have taken a little time out to work on this project. I long for warm temperatures, green grass, and spring. Winter seems to be hanging on with a very tight grip. This is spring break in the local schools. My friends are visiting warm places with their friends. I need a little spring; the colors I selected shout spring to me. They also echo Mardi Gras.
During the cold, windy days of the past week, a pair of cardinals has been visiting our bird feeder. The male does not appear as brilliant red as he was a couple weeks ago. I wonder if the males have already declared their territory and claimed their mates and so no longer need the flashy color. During the week, the female perched on one of the wire cages we use to support tomato plants. The male appeared to bring her seeds from the feeder. Yesterday it was so windy that both birds had trouble getting seeds from the feeder.

1 comment:
Very spring-like, the colours remind me of crocusses
Post a Comment