Sunday, October 17, 2010

Well, perhaps it is a case of the bargain basement reputation the bazaar has and consequently the expectations people have of it.  It is nice that you similarly-minded people have affirmed the desirability of the little boxes.  I think that I will be able to find out today if they eventually sold and how low the price had to be if they sold.  The only discouraging thing is that when I last saw them on Thursday it was only a few minutes until closing time. 

Before we left, I did check over the items at the bazaar and saw a gorgeous hand knit winter hat.  I thought it was reasonably priced at 5 USD.  Apparently other people did not.  If it had been an adult size in a color that would look nice with my winter jacket, I would have gotten it for myself. 

Oh well, so much for that experience. 

Yesterday, we went to an estate sale,  not because it was advertised as anything that might interest us but because it was very close.  Actually, the address seemed very familiar to us.  As it turned out, we had been to a sale there a couple years ago.  It turned out that this sale was of residue from the previous sale.  Apparently the people conducting the sale had not learned from the previous one that the prices were a little high and used the same tags on the items.  Other people must have thought so too because no one was carrying anything away from the sale.  Actually, I think the people doing the sale should have been working through an art gallery to sell the artwork.  They probably will not be able to get anywhere near 25,000 USD for a dining room table and chairs even if the set is by George Nakashima.  It would be better to work through a major art and collectables auction house. 

On a happier note, Friday a woodpecker found the suet I hung out.  I watched the little fellow; it was on the corner of the porch where windows on two sides come together.  It progressed up the corner testing the wood with its bill.  When it reached the top of the windows, it moved along them toward the window where I was watching, again testing the wood along the way.  This is definitely not a good sign but may not be as bad as it seems because the woodpecker left.  It went over to the roof of the garden shed and then tested it too.  It did not waste much time there before flying over to the suet. 

No comments: