Monday, August 11, 2014

Back At Last

Okay, I just scanned through all the posts in other blogs since I was last here two weeks ago.  I finished a little project for Annie's Publishing.  I have no idea what they are doing with it because I think it is not for Just Cross Stitch.  In any case, it seems like it is all a closed subject because my check arrived in the post today. 
It has been a little difficult for me to settle back into my stitching. 

My last posted picture of the wedding sampler shows it completed but not in its frame.  That has been fraught with problems.  First I had to locate some 1/8 inch foam core because 3/16 inch is too thick.  I cut the foam core and laced the sampler to it.  I could not line it up squarely behind the mats; it just would not work.  With much frustration, I cut the sampler off the foam core.  With some help I hauled the mat cutter upstairs and set it up.  Please keep in mind that I have never used this mat cutter since it was given to me a number of years ago.  After spending half a day learning how to set it up and how to use it, it cut the foam core with lovely straight, even, and smooth edges. Ahhhhh, I thought, I will get that sampler on here so quickly and it will just jump behind the mats, not so.  I had to carefully manipulate the sampler but it is now taped to the foam core and looks rather even and square.  It has been sitting there of almost a week.  At first I thought I would just leave it taped in place.  Then I decided to stitch the corners and leave the edges taped.  Now I think I will also lace the edges in place.  I am not certain when I will begin but it ought to be sometime this week.  Please keep me in mind to silently urge me to resume the framing process. 


There is some nice little progress to show you on the birth sampler.  This week I plan to paint the dowel and finials for it.  Last week I picked up some lovely pearl cotton to make cording and a tassel for it. 

My very old UFO, otherwise know as XOUFO (Extra Old Unfinished Object) has been languishing.  I have only done a little bit more on the band of pansies.  But I did make a correction to the mats for Last Stitches.  The mats for both Last and First Stitches were made with a spacer.  As nice as it looks, it was not going to work because it made the back stick out way beyond the frame.  I knew I would have to take the mats apart to take the spacer out but I was very hesitant to do so because I feared ruining the mats.  I did try with the mats for Last Stitches and was successful.  I feel confident I can correct the mats for First Stitches when I am ready to frame it. 

8 comments:

Pamela D. Atkinson said...

You are such a wonderful stitcher! All I can say is "wow lovely work " Hugs Queeny

Annabelle said...

Looks good Linda. I am sure this kind of work takes a lot of patience! Good for you for persevering through your troubles.

Faith... said...

Very pretty - Love your new acronym XOUFO and I think if maybe one most of us stitchers can use!

Christine said...

Lovely work Linda. I try to avoid designs with obvious straight borders, it makes them so difficult to stretch evenly

Unknown said...

Your work is lovely, Linda! I also love you XOUFO! It's a great one.

Unknown said...

Love your stitching it is so beautiful. I love your XOUFO acronym I have a couple of those too :)

viv said...

It's all lovely. I'm sure it will be great framed.

Deb said...

Congrats on learning your mat tool!
Nice stitching!