Friday, November 2, 2012

Thought You Might Like

For those of you who cross stitch, I happened to think that you might like the chart for this little design.  It is a freebie from Blackbird Designs. 

The chart itself is here.  

But do not skip the specific blog entry which is here

During the time I was working fast and furiously on the sampler for Hoffman Media, I took a little time to check out a couple estate sales.  Of course, I could hardly leave a sale without picking up one or two or even more things.  It is not that I do not have enough.  It is just that I could hardly bear to leave them behind. 

I feel compelled to tell you about this sale first.  It was very close to my home and was very scary because I could easily see myself in it.  The woman knitted and maybe did a little crochet but primarily knitting.  She also spun yarn.  All over the house was yarn and more yarn than anyone could use during two or three lifetimes.  She had a couple spinning wheels and lots of books about a variety of handwork crafts. 


 I selected two books1. 



 I think The Filet Crochet Book is much more useful to me.  There are a couple things in Compendium of Finishing Techniques that I want to learn to do but I am not certain the whole book is worth it. 

Now back to the yarn.  This woman was very much into the Red Hat Society.  She had very little besides red and purple yarns.  My pictures will not reflect that because the blue and green yarns that I pulled out were almost the only ones there. 


Here are the red yarns that I selected.  I should have had the presence of mind to not select the ones that were one or two of a kind and taken a total of twelve red Mohair Kid 80.  That would have been enough to make a sweater.  Perhaps I can knit a sweater vest with the six skeins.  I think I can make myself a pair of mittens with the two skeins of Misti Alpaca.  It remains to be seen what I can do with the rest. 



These are my colors and I grabbed every one I could find.  The silver metallic yarn simply jumped into the bag; I have no idea why.  There is not enough yarn to do very much with here with the exception of the stocking yarn.  As I said, they are my colors and I could not bear to leave them. 






She was a very talented and accomplished knitter.  I selected one sweater.  It is clean but I feel I want to wash it before I integrate it into my wardrobe.  I may change out the buttons too. 

2 comments:

diamondc said...

Linda: How lucky you are I am not a knitter I only know the chain stitch in crochet, but looking at your finds makes me want to do two things, one learn to knit and crochet o.k. that is two things the other is go to estate sales, you never know what a person will find you have to be the luckiest lady I know, the sweater is lovely.

Hugs

Catherine

Christine said...

Good finds Linda. Maybe you could make a shawl from the red mohair