This afternoon we went to check out another estate sale just because it was relatively close. We drove through the local countryside where the residents like their open space and keep horses. When the fields have been plowed and the trees have lost their leaves, all the horses seem to be very highly visible. We were wondering if the horses know winter is coming or do they just wake up one day and say, "Shoot, look what happened during the night."
The sale was a total loss to us, nothing, nada.
It brought to mind a sale that I checked on during the summer just because it was two minutes from home. Really and truly, two minutes, well five minutes door to door. It was hot, hot, hot that day so unlike today. The sun was baking us. But it was worth it, oh so worth it.
With the exception of the solid blue piece in the middle, it is all wool, gorgeous, lovely wool. The blue is lining.
1. Red Superfine Worsted Wool, anytime the fabric description is woven into the selvage, you know it is high quality. It is roughly 3¾ yards of 60-inch wide fabric.
2. In the back is some lovely blue tweed, 5½ yards of it. At first I thought it might be Harris Tweed but at 62 inches wide, I think not. It is still to die for.
3. On the blue tweed is the brown, cream, and gray tweed which is 2¼ yards long. At 60 inches wide is probably not Harris Tweed either.
4. The plaid looks a lot like the MacKenzie tartan but I am not certain nor have I any idea of its origin. It is 2 yards long and 61+ inches wide.

2 comments:
Oh my those are some lovely finds. Is that red wool the one you offered to sell me a while back? It is just gorgeous! If you are still willing to sell it to me, I just need to find some time to make it out your way :) I may not use it for the 1940's pattern that you thought it would be perfect for, but I do have another dress and skirt in mind.
What are your sewing plans for the rest of the fabric?
Lovely wools. Do you have plans for it.....although just holding it close is enough sometimes.
Post a Comment