Sunday, September 23, 2012

What I did at the lake . . .

It was just one week ago at this time that we arrived at the lake cottage.  The extra key is kept on a not visible but not invisible nail camouflaged with cobwebs.  Although we knew the general location of it, it was still difficult to find and we were not certain that we would find it.  The prospect of immediately driving back home or spending the night in the car made our search all the more feverish.  In the past we have brought an extra key with us but this time decided to rely on the hidden one.  I do hope that we can remember its hiding place for the future because all in all, it is much easier to not have to pick up the key from Roger's sister and return it. 

A couple weeks ago, I discovered that I made a miscount in the lower heart,  Fortunately, I had stitched in only the bottom three rows and the miscount was on the right side of the heart.  Just the same, it was so discouraging that I set the sampler aside without removing the stitching.  I knew it would be a messy and difficult job to pick out the stitching. 

Two of the three rows were stitched in silk which does not respond very well to being removed and restitched and this type of silk thread is even less cooperative.  Actually I did not loose too very much thread and the new lengths stitched in very well.  The rest of the heart almost stitched itself it went so well.  Can you see the peacock feather in the colors? 

Although there was no hope that I could finish it and have it framed prior to the wedding, I did cut the threads and did the hardanger needleweaving on the upper heart.  It pains me, but I think I will remove the needleweaving and replace it with a solid color.  I have stitched this heart many times with variegated thread but it has not looked this busy or disorganized before.  I think it is because this color selection is very strong while past threads have had a more subtle color variation. 

Before I set to work on the wedding sampler, I finished a section of a sampler that I am stitching for Just Cross Stitch.  I wish that I could show it to you but I cannot share that with anyone until it has been published.  I think that I can tell you that it is an anniversary sampler celebrating the 30th anniversary of the magazine.  It meant that I had to set aside the charity auction stocking and the wedding sampler for a little while.  While we were gone, I did stitch part one of the anniversary sampler and was able to send it back so that they will receive it tomorrow.  I do not know how long they will keep it while they photograph it for the first issue of 2013.  When it comes back to me, I can stitch on it a little more leisurely. 

Until then, I should be stitching on the wedding sampler and the stocking.  Do you want to see my progress on the stocking? 


3 comments:

viv said...

areterg Sounds like you had a very productive time at the lake. While I can't really see the colors all that well, I hope you are more happy with the new color you choose. My stocking is progressing slowly, but steadily.

Christine said...

You've been busy Linda. The peacock wedding sampler is lovely and I think the needleweaving looks just fine

Annabelle said...

Oh, I understand the pain of taking out stitches. I haven't done cross stitch in a while, but I often find little mistakes in my knitting which causes me to rip out row after row. I think the sampler looks beautiful, and the colors do not distract from the pattern.